Queens Park / Randwick
Located only 6 km from the CBD Queens Park was originally part of the Sydney Common and later the Lachlan Swamps Water Reserve. Today it is a large urban park, part of Centennial Parklands. It was dedicated with Centennial Park in 1888 as part of the centenary celebrations of European settlement in Australia. Randwick was named after the village of Randwick in Gloucestershire, England, birthplace of Simeon Henry Pearce, who became Mayor of Randwick no less than six times. Randwick of course is famous for the renowned Randwick Race course which has recently undergone a multimillion dollar face lift.